Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Live....From NY!!!

Hi kids!! Well... the past few days have been a whirl wind. It was a last min decision, but yesterday morning I showed up on Len's doorstep for a Christmas suprise. I have to say I have never ever done that before... so I was a little nervous, but... I'm glad I did.

So I'm here in NY just till Thur night then back to Doha.



It's great to see everyone...well... the few people I have managed to get the time to see...but having been away has been very good for me. The new job, the responsibilities, the new adventure... I feel more like my old self than I have for a very long time. And although I am looking forward to going back and continuing my adventure I am glad I decided to take this trip back home.

Since I've been home everyonbe has been asking me how it is different living in Doha compared to here... and I have to reiterate... it's strangly the same, but just slightly off. Like someone from another dimension saw Vegas...drunk...and tried to recreate it from a hazy hungover memory. It's almost the same but just not...quite.. right, somehow.

The biggetst fear I have is becoming too clmplacent and foregetting that I am living in a Muslum country where the laws and rules are not only foreign to me, but also strange, and as far as I am concerned, aren't based in much common sense.

Like roundabouts... coming back to LI I realize that I have always driven a little like a Qatari. Pushy and defensive. But OMG!!! In most places in the world, if you are driving on roundabouts there are rules, codes of conduct. In most polite societies the outside lane of the roundabout is for taking the right exit, the middle lane is for going across and the inside lane is for taking the left exit or for doubling back. Not so in the land of Doha. Apparently the inside lane is called the "captain's lane" which means that what ever the person on the inside lane feels like doing...well, be damned to the people in the outside two lanes... forget about common courtesy. Just be well aware of the fellow in the four wheel drive looking to plow across two lanes of traffic in order to take the right. The right that by rights is YOUR right, and he really should be going left. And god forbid you get into an accident with this guy...because it will be your fault. No conversation about it. (see, no common sense to the rules here)
anyway enough of my rant. I hope you all have a fantastic holiday season and I'm sorry I didn't get to see most of you while I was here, but it was really for three days.

Merry Xmas, Happy Chanukkha, and Peaceful Qwanza.

Remember to tell those you love often and loudly how much they mean to you. Never go to bed without at least saying I love you (even if you are still angry), and don't let anyone you care about travel without first telling them how much they mean to you.
Life is short, and you never know what is going to happen. Make the most of every day, for yourself and for the ones you love. So with that in mind, I miss you, I love you and I am blessed to have you in my life.

I'm still trying to upload that damned video from a few weeks ago... don't worry, it will happen.
sorry this is so all over the place, but i write what i think, and right now i am just trying not to think about leaving tomorrow....
kisskiss

No comments: